Frequently Asked Questions
Welcome to the frequently asked questions page. Here you can find more information about our products, our services, and our policies.
Frequently asked questions
How to pronounce "Nahvalur"?
We, the "Nahvalur" brand, changed our name from "Narwhal" to "Nahvalur" since August 2022. But we maintain the same pronunciation for "Nahvalur," so it is pronounced exactly as "Narwhal" (/ˈnɑːr.wəl/).
The name "Nahvalur" is the Icelandic version of "Narwhal" and refers to the real-life oceanic unicorn, a species of whale known for its long, spiral tusks. Therefore, you can confidently pronounce "Nahvalur" as "Narwhal" (/ˈnɑːr.wəl/). Our pens embody the spirit of courage, grace, and distinction, just like the magnificent Narwhal in the ocean.
What are the available nib sizes and materials?
A typical nib consulting at Nahvalur starts with the question of which purpose you would like to use the fountain pen for. Either for daily writing, drawing or signatures. This is determined via a special writing test by our well experienced associates or authorized retailers. Accordingly, we offer a perfectly crafted nib by selecting from the three geometrics and different nib widths:
F, M, B
The basic feature is the round tip which is suitable for prolong writing sessions, especially for fountain pen beginners and left-handers.
The basic feature of double broads is the flat tip which is suitable for smooth hand rotation and the stub is suitable for line variation.
Nahvalur nibs are crafted with meticulous precision from premium materials. We use robust stainless steel or radiant 14k gold, ensuring longevity and a luxurious feel. Our selection encompasses a variety of colors to suit your personal style, including but not limited to the timeless elegance of black, the modern charm of rose gold, the classic allure of gold, and the sleek sophistication of platinum.
How could I identify the Nahvalur nib size?
The engraved letter, typically on the left shoulder of the nib, indicates the nib size, such as F for fine, M for medium.
How to fill a Nahvalur piston fountain pen?
Filling the Navalur fountain pen with a piston mechanism is a straightforward process that combines a simple rotation and the power of suction to draw ink into the pen. To ensure an optimal and smooth writing experience, follow these steps:
- Start the process by uncapping your fountain pen. Find the piston knob, which is located at the pen's rear end. Gently, yet firmly, rotate this knob in a counterclockwise direction. This action should gradually move the piston toward the nib within the pen. Please note, it's important to proceed with caution during this step. Do not apply excessive force. If you encounter any notable resistance, discontinue immediately.
- Next, select your chosen ink and open the bottle. Immerse the nib of the pen completely under the surface of the ink. This full submersion is crucial to facilitate effective ink filling. Once the nib is fully submerged, proceed to rotate the piston knob, but this time in a clockwise direction. This rotation creates suction, drawing ink up into the pen.
- For maximum ink capacity, this process can be repeated. It ensures your pen is fully loaded with ink, extending the longevity of your writing or drawing session.
- Lastly, after your pen has been successfully filled, any excess ink that may be present on the nib should be wiped off. A simple blot with a soft paper towel should suffice, ensuring clean and smudge-free use.
How to fill a Nahvalur vacuum fountain pen?
When it comes to filling a fountain pen equipped with a vacuum-filling mechanism, the process takes advantage of air pressure created by the movement of the piston rod. Not only does this filling mechanism offer a larger ink capacity compared to a standard piston-fill pen, but it also ensures a quicker ink intake. Here are the simple steps to effectively fill your pen:
- Initiate the process by unscrewing the blind cap located at the back end of the pen barrel. Then, retract the plunger to the rear of the pen.
- Next, submerge the nib completely into your chosen bottle of ink. It's crucial to ensure the entire nib is submerged to enable proper ink flow.
- With the nib still in the ink, press the plunger downward in a steady motion. As the plunger reaches the bottom, the air pressure that has built up in the chamber is released. This release generates a vacuum which propels the ink to surge upward, filling the pen barrel.
- Lastly, carefully remove the pen from the ink bottle. To ensure cleanliness and prevent any potential ink smudges during writing, gently wipe any residual ink from the nib using a soft, absorbent paper towel.
How to disassemble / assemble the piston fountain pen?
Your fountain pen can be efficiently cleaned with simple rinsing in most cases. Disassembly for thorough cleaning should only be undertaken if absolutely necessary.
If you have a Nahvalur Original or Schuylkill, a specialized wrench is included in your box. This tool is essential for removing the piston during disassembly. Ensure that your pen is completely empty before you commence the following steps:
- First, move the piston downwards by continuing to rotate the piston knob counterclockwise until the piston reaches the end.
- Now, it's time to utilize the wrench. Locate the indented areas on the piston and fit the wrench securely into these. With the wrench firmly positioned, apply pressure and turn it clockwise. Continue until the piston assembly can be smoothly separated from the pen barrel.
- With the pen barrel now disassembled, you can proceed to clean any residual ink. A soft, absorbent paper towel or similar material is perfect for this job. Be sure to clean all the way to the top of the barrel for the best results.
- Upon completion of the cleaning process, reassembling your pen is the next step. This will require silicone grease, which is recommended for lubricating the piston. Take a minute amount of this grease and carefully apply it to the piston.
- With the piston greased, reinsert it into the barrel using the wrench. Securely tighten the piston back into the barrel, this time by turning it counterclockwise.
- To conclude, distribute the silicone grease within the pen by moving the piston back and forth several times. This action ensures the entire barrel is well lubricated, promoting smoother operation in future use.